Tuesday, October 12, 2010

Cassava **

Cassava
3338 N. Clark
Chicago IL, 60601
I baked these at home
Cassava will change your life, and quite possibly your waist line too. It's undoubtedly one of THE best kept secrets!  This newly opened South American specialty cafe on Clark features four different types of freshly baked, bite size cassava bread balls.  At first, the "sun-dried tomato and basil" was my favorite, then I sampled the "jalapeno and white cheddar" which had a pleasant little kick, but in the end, the original took first place.  Cassava uses a gluten-free flour free of preservatives, trans fats, and artificial coloring but the bread bites taste so good, you almost immediately feel guilty for eating them.  Expect a flaky outside and a warm, moist and stretchy consistency on the inside.

Since Cassava is found all over South America, it's often referred to as Pao de Queijio in Brazil, Pan de Yuca in Ecuador and Pan de Bono in Columbia. I didn't realize it then, but I had cassava bread for the first time when dining at Fogo de Chao, the Brazilian Steakhouse downtown, and I immediately fell in love with the doughy texture. For months I tried to figure out how to make this infamous bread but failed miserably in my attempt to emulate it using all sorts of flours. Thanks to Cassava, now I can have my bread without having to spend $50 at a steakhouse to get it.

Cassava bread is the perfect mid day snack; four bread bites go for 75 cents.  Also available now at 55 cents for four bread bites, is the bake at home option. I was so grateful to come across this place, I bought 12 cassava bites to share with my friends. Though many people took their bread and coffee to go, the peaceful atmosphere and free wifi available at Cassava make it very appropriate place to catch up on work.  Coffee lovers can quench their thirst on coffee and European style hot chocolate, while the whole fruit smoothies and cassava muffins are sure to satisfy anybody's sweet tooth. Cassava is a must in Wrigleyville; Jorge the owner was beyond hospitable and more than willing to explain the benefits of Cassava to those curious enough to wander in.

No comments:

Post a Comment