Tuesday, October 12, 2010

Homemade Vindaloo Red Curry

For whatever reason, no matter how late or how last minute the circumstances are, curry is the one dish I never seem to dread to make. Tonight I decided at 8:00 pm while still in the grocery store that I would make curry for dinner! You're probably thinking, who even eats dinner that late... this is coming from an insomniac people!

Getting back to the point, in the hour and a half it took me to walk my groceries a quarter of a mile home from my ridiculously far parking spot, to the actual plating of the meal, not once did I feel it was taking too much time or effort. Below I've attached my very own recipe for you to test out in case you ever decide you're in the mood to make an elaborate ethnic meal!

Ingredients
1 handful of dried red chili peppers
1 yellow pepper
1 green or orange pepper
1 small onion
1 potato
1 can of lite coconut milk
2 fresh chicken breasts
4 or 5 tablespoons of whatever flavored curry paste you prefer (I like tandoori or vindaloo)
2 tablespoons of actual curry powder

Preparation
  • Peel potato, cut into cubes
  • In a small saucepan, bring water to boil
  • Place potatoes in saucepan to boil until tender
  • In another saucepan, bring water to boil and submerge both chicken breasts in
  • Remove once chicken is cooked all the way through
  • Bring 2 cups of water to boil in a separate large saucepan
  • Chop both bell peppers and onion
  • Place in large saucepan with boiling water
  • Let boil 15 minutes, while stirring periodically
  • Add boiled potatoes to mix
  • Season with 2 tablespoons of curry powder
  • Add a quarter can of lite coconut milk when water starts to reduce
  • Add 2 tablespoons of curry paste
  • Let vegetables reduce for 30 min, stirring periodically
  • Once chicken is fulled cooked, remove from boiled water
  • Using 2 forks, shred chicken in thin pieces
  • Add 2 more tablespoons of curry paste, and another fourth of the coconut milk, stirring very fast to prevent curdling
  • Let vegetables reduce another 10 minutes before emptying the rest of the can of coconut milk in the mix and adding a final tablespoon of curry paste.
The mixture is complete when most of the vegetables are reduced, and the mixture has thickened. Serve with store bought, or homemade nan bread. (Because I am kind of a health nut, Ironic I know considering I run a food blog, I usually substitute the nan for no preservative tortillas, corn or flour work. Store bought nan runs upwards 220 calories and over 40 carbohydrates... I'd rather have dessert or wine)

Chilean Syrah is a fabulous pairing wine for curry; the well balanced red wine tends to enhance the spices from the chilies and the curry paste.

No comments:

Post a Comment